Thursday 13 November 2014

The bearded farmers

Article first published in Hindi by Eklavya for Chakmak magazine.



As I was going through Eklavya’s recently published Rukhi-Sukhi, a very interesting collection of facts on famine compiled by the students of Adharshila, a residential school for Adivasi children in Badhwani district in MP, I got reminded of Jagannath, a young Kondh Adivasi grassroots activist whom I had recently met in Muniguda, Rayagada district of Odisha…

As we walked through the forest, on our way to a remote village inaccessible by road, Jagannath narrates his experience of famine… “I remember one summer…  I would have been 5-6 years old… nothing was left to eat in the village… every grain of the last harvest had been consumed… the grain stores were empty…  I remember then accompanying my parents to the forest… For a full season, we subsisted solely on forest produce… jungle fruits, tubers, greens, seeds, jungle millets, mushrooms…"

Continue reading on website... Ancient Roots

No comments:

Post a Comment